This episode we talk about what it takes to be a hero and the survivors’ guilt that comes with that decision. I started with a story of heroism from Steve Sparks of Sparks Firearms. He stopped to save two people in a rollover SUV crash. The third person in the vehicle was dead before he got there. How can you deal with that?
We all want to be that person that runs in, saves everyone, and has the movie style happy ending; only the real world doesn’t work like that. We have to live with the aftermath of not being able to save everyone every time. From experience it isn’t easy.
I don’t have a good way to help you deal with it either. There are only two things I could come up with to try:
- Get your priorities straight before hand. Know who you are going to save first and learn some advanced first aid and what triage is.
- Have a plan for how you are going to handle it. See yourself dealing with it in a positive manner. Don’t let your mind wonder to things like drinking or suicide. If you have that visualization and don’t replace it with something else, it’s probably what you will do if it happens.
If you want to know more about Survivors’ Guilt ask a Psychiatrist. This podcast is only about my personal experience and what I’ve learned from watching others deal with it.
- Feb 15, 2015 Intro to Pistol Self Defense in San Antonio, TX
- Feb 21, 2015 Beyond Concealed Carry in San Antonio, TX
- Mar 14, 2015 Beyond Concealed Carry in Houston, TX
- Apr 18, 2015 Beyond Concealed Carry in Dallas, TX
- May 16-17, 2015 Beyond Concealed Carry Enhanced in Sioux Falls, SD
- Aug 8-9, 2015 Beyond Concealed Carry Enhanced in Seattle, WA
- ShootersClubMembers.com Is the membership-training site that helps support this show. Members get extra audio and video content found nowhere else. The videos are all shooting how to about defending yourself with a gun. The audio has great interviews with giants in the self defense industry. All of it is stuff you will find only find here.
Thanks for checking out my Podcast. Please consider subscribing to my just my Pod cast RSS, or my entire Blog RSS by clicking the links. Get my podcast on iTunes, or Digital Podcast and now on Stitcher Radio.