If you want to become a good shot you have to master the fundaments. It starts by knowing what they are and how to implement them. Here are those fundamentals with some notes.
Seven Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- High Firm Pistol Grip
- Pistols – I like thumbs up really light grip with my shooting hand and just a little pressure with my off hand
- Rifles – Shooting hand nice and high so you can pull the rifle straight back into your shoulder. Other hand needs to create a V or U that lets the rifle sit into. Don’t hold the rifle, let it sit there
- Bladed, shooting foot back, non-shooting side forward. Toes pointed confortable don’t always need to be pointed at the target
- The secretes
- NPA (Natural Point of Aim): Your body points in a direction naturally, use that to your advantage. Put the sights on target, close your eyes, take a couple of breaths and relax. If you are still on target you are good, if not you are fighting yourself. Move your feet or body to get back on target, not the weapon.
- Bone Support: Don’t muscle the weapon, use your bones to hold up the weapon.
- Sight Alignment
- Centering the front sight in the rear sight, even on top for notch sights, and centered up and down for a peep rear sight.
- Sight Picture
- Putting the front sight tip where you want the bullet to go without changing the sight alignment, secret; hard focus on the front sight.
- Breath Control
- Natural respiratory pause; stop breathing when you shoot, but only for a second or two.
- Trigger Control
- Most important thing with a handgun, but not so important for a rifle.
- Learn how to move the trigger straight back without moving the sights.
- Tips: Unloaded gun, pull the trigger for the hammer to fall, then practice on a dead trigger
- Use a Tennis or Racket Ball to practice trigger control
- Follow Through
- Hold your position until the weapon has recoiled and the sights are back on target
- Aug 9, 2014 Beyond Concealed Carry with Author Glen Tate in Seattle WA, Sold out, waiting list only
- Sep 27, 2014 Beyond Concealed Carry in Houston TX
- Oct 11, 2014 AR Rifle Fighting Dynamics in San Antonio TX
- ShootersClubMembers.com Is the membership-training site that helps support this show. Members get extra audio and video content found nowhere else. The videos are all shooting how to about defending yourself with a gun. The audio has great interviews with giants in the self defense industry. All of it is stuff you will find only find here.
- The Big Giveaway June 30, 2014
- We are giving away a M&P Shield 9mm, 250 Rounds of 9mm, some course tickets, and a shooting bag. To enter all you have to do is be an annual shooter’s club member.
Thanks for checking out my Podcast. Please consider subscribing to my just my Pod cast RSS, or my entire Blog RSS by clicking the links. Get my podcast on iTunes, or Digital Podcast and now on Stitcher Radio.