Podcast 148 The Firearms Industry Today
Podcast: Play in new window
Click Here Get Notes by EmailToday:
Click to download from iTunes
We talk about the firearms industry and what’s going on in the world. Where could prices go? Will there be a large run up? Will the President do anything about guns?
January after shot show
- New product releases
- Walther PPS next line
- Ruger American
- Lots to come
- Manufacturers working overtime on those new products
- Take a boost in sales
- Sparks political action
Politics could push prices up
- Obama to do something
- Prices already moving up a hair
- So called gun show loophole limit private sales or make small dealers become licensed
- “not a plot to take away everybody’s guns.”
- “If a child can’t open a bottle of aspirin, we should make sure they can’t pull a trigger on a gun,” Obama says.
- He compares “smart guns” to smartphones that require a fingerprint to unlock the device and mentions trackers that could help find a stolen gun.
- The president’s plan rests on four main points:
- Background Checks: Require all gun sellers — including online and at gun shows — to have a license and perform background checks. Have the FBI overhaul the existing background check system.
- Enforcement: Improve the use of America’s existing gun laws, and add 200 new agents to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Mental Health: Remove barriers that can keep states from reporting and sharing information about people barred from owning guns for mental health reasons, and spend $500 million to increase access to mental health care.
- Technology: Push for research in gun safety technology, such as “smart guns” that can only be fired by authorized users. The research would be done by the Departments of Defense, Justice and Homeland Security. The White House notes the federal government is “the single largest purchaser of firearms in the country.”
Thanks for listening, don’t forget to check out the Shooter’s Club.
Thanks for checking out my Podcast. Please consider subscribing to my just my Podcast RSS, or my entire Blog RSS by clicking the links. Get my podcast on iTunes, Digital Podcast and now on Stitcher Radio. Get the podcast by email, click here.
There was an issue loading your timed LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.
There was an issue loading your exit LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.