- Lights – Make sure it’s easier to see around your house then in your house at night.
- Locks – Use the locks that are on your doors and windows always all the time.
- Improve Locks – Reinforce your dead bolts (here’s how)
- Increase Visibility Around Entrance – Cut back bushes or anything else the blocks the view of your doors from the street or at a distance.
- Know Your Neighbors – If you are friends with your neighbors they will look after your stuff and you can look after theirs.
- Fire Extinguishers – Have at least two, one in the kitchen and one on the other side of the house.
- Smoke/CO Alarms – The more the alarms the better, not just smoke but Carbon Monoxide detectors.
- Alarms – You can get a whole house system, but can also get personal alarms and stick them to doors and windows (I use these).
- Schedule – Don’t keep the same schedule all the time everyday. Bad guys notice if you are gone the same time everyday.
- Advertising – Don’t show off everything you have to the outside world. Don’t leave computers, TVs, etc. in front of windows for the world to see.
I know we can’t do all of these, but do what you can. Anything is better then nothing. Or even better yet, work down the list, one at a time.